[Official] HP ProDesk 400 G4 SFF Owner's Thread

If you use Windows 10 MCT and there’s a key on the motherboard, it will automatically select the right version when installing.

Ebay listing is back up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303792890408?hash=item46bb77a228:g:CFAAAOSw3opfx8gq

HP Prodesk 400 G4 / Pentium G4560 3.5ghz / NO SSD / NO OS / 8gb Ram - sold by epc-texas
$119.00 with make offer enabled
“More than 10 available”

1 Like

Hi new user here.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but for pfsense + snort, it looks like this would be a better fit than the 290?

Yes, it has a bit more power. And as a bonus, it’s cheaper.

2 Likes

it arrives next week - thank you! ($80+ tax)

Hypothetically, could this HP ProDesk 400 be mounted in something like this? https://www.amazon.com/iStar-D-213-MATX-Rackmount-Server-Chassis/dp/B005KQ68BE/

Or even a 1u server chassis?

Really enjoying this site.

Nope, it’s a proprietary mobo and PSU, you won’t be able to mount it in anything else.

I’d just recommend using a rackmount shelf like this.

2 Likes

So, I first found your website a couple days ago and ive been trying to wrap my head around all of this as its a lot to absorb. Could I run this as a nas / plex box with playon recording 24/7? currently i have all of this on my main gaming pc, but wouldnt mind something that draws less power.

Depends on what your nas duties are. It doesn’t have space internally for drives, so you’d need a card and setup for a DAS. It will work fine for plex.

1 Like

The latest listing sold out, (29 sold) I DM’d the seller (epc-texas), they said “more units will be added.”

I’m planning on migrating my plex server over to this…Does it make sense to bring radarr/sonarr/etc over to it as well, or leave those on my NAS?

1 Like

Mine arrived Friday, but won’t boot up today. :frowning: Hoping that the seller can resolve this. Looks like a PSU issue from what I can see

Keep the file management on your NAS!

2 Likes

On your NAS for sure!

running (2x) 4mp cameras with like 7% cpu usage.

If anyone is curious or not aware. These are available right now

Seller still accepts $90. Just bought one for that.

1 Like

Just placed an offer on one of these.
@JDM_WAAAT
Is this a good option for the SSD?

Looking to use this as a basic Plex/Web Cam server in my home.

Appreciate any advice. Never setup a home server before so I’m sure I’ll be back in regards to the setup, OS, etc…

He recommended this someone else recently (can’t remember if here or on discord):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086BGWNY8/

I just ordered the G4 400 and these drive per his recommendations

2 Likes

Great, price is about the same, I’m in!
Thanks

1 Like

With the ProDesk 400 is there any benefit to the 290 or is the 400 basically a cheaper and better 290 alternative all around?

I’m thinking of replacing my 290 with this since it seems like $90 (+$14 for the NVME adapter) is reasonable for an upgraded CPU and 8GB of ram since the 8GB ram upgrade is already $30.

Also, could I potentially just swap the NVME drive over with its Ubuntu installation or would a clean install be recommended?

The 400 is cheaper and more powerful, but the HP 290 is newer and can accept 8th/9th gen Intel processors, where the ProDesk 400 can only accept 6th/7th gen.

If you already have a HP 290, there’s no reason to replace it.

2 Likes