[Official] HP ProDesk 400 G4 SFF Owner's Thread

I would like to do this with my G4. Anyone aware of a good step/step walkthrough for a novice?

Ultimately wanting a dedicated machine for all the downloading/whatnot that would then speak to my dedicated Plex Server and my dedicated NAS.
Thinking it would probably have Radarr/Sonarr/Jacket/etc. all in there as well if that makes sense?

thanks!

1 Like

No responses to this so I’ll break it out a bit more… Lots of questions!!!

Goal:

1. Download with dedicated Seed box
  • Use Transmission with PIA always on
  1. Store files on dedicated NAS
  2. Transcribe/watch/transmit files with dedicated Plex
  3. Have all this done safely through dedicated pfsense box

Gear:

• HP Prodesk 400 G4: Plex Transcoder (Ubuntu with Plex) 192.168.11.13
  • HP Prodesk 400 G4: Torrent seed box (Ubuntu with Portainer) 192.168.11.14
  • NAS K5.0: Storage (unraid) 192.168.11.15
  • HP 730: pfsense (snort/pfblockerNG) 192.168.11.1

** I have followed the steps to mount the nfs files. Ex: /mnt/nfs/movies

I “believe” I have all the different machines up and running, but I have not been able to get them to talk. Ex: Torrent seed box will not download to NAS and NAS will not connect to Plex Transcoder.

A few example questions: (I am using the walkthrough from Techno Dad. There might be better out there)

In Portainer:
Setting up Stacks
Transmission: What do I put as the volumes location? I would want them to go to the NAS right?

• For all the dockers, I believe that I have to have matching puid and guid’s? This would be for all the machines? I.e. Transcoder must be 1000 100, NAS 1000 100, Seed box 1000 100???

Anytime I am asked what my “local network” is do I put my pfsense IP? Same for DNS?

Volumes for containers: What do I put to get them to go to my NAS? (this example is radarr)

In the actual containers:
Transmission: What do I put as the download location. Again, thinking this would be my NAS but not sure how to write it out.
In Radarr:
What IP do I use for the Host in downloads? My Transmission IP? My seed box? My pfsense? My NAS?

Do I need a Root folder for Media Management? What would it be?

Do I also put this root folder here when trying to download something?

In pfsense:
DNS resolver: Is this setup correctly?

Lastly, in Plex.
I assume that I use the same locations that were hopefully provided in earlier questions to see all of this? I have done all the mounting steps for transcoding. Can you give an example???

Then there is obviously anything I missed!!!

I know it’s a lot and I feel like I’ve done my homework, but most tutorials assume you know the basics which unfortunately I do not.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks!

1 Like

Grabbed one of these, but with the weaker Pentium G4400 CPU. I’m going to be using this to replace my current pfSense box. I mainly bought this for the form factor, since my current pfSense box is 17x14x7in and this ProDesk 400 G4 is 11.7x10.6x3.7in. This ProDesk is less than a THIRD in size compared to my existing pfSense box.

2 Likes

I’m finally getting around to building my little server, and my machine seemingly won’t boot. It turns on for 0.5-1s and then turns off again, and seemingly will stay on so long as the power button is pressed, but powers down as soon as it’s released. It’s not possible that removing the PS2COMM cable and card, or not having a HDD/SDD plugged in via SATA is causing this, right? I’ve played with hardware before, but never really needed to troubleshoot hardware in this way.

No, I’ve ran my G4 without a hard drive without problem. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? I think these motherboards have an easy to use CMOS clear button.

@JDM_WAAAT what NICs have you tested with these machines? I have tried two Intel PRO/1000 Quad Port cards but I’m having trouble with pfSense using them. I have a i340-T2 on order, but I’m curious if it’s something I’m doing wrong, something with pfSense, or with the NICs themselves.

I haven’t use a ProDesk 400 G4 as a router, but you may be running into SMBUS issues.

@JDM_WAAAT How would I figure that out? The issue I’m having with pfSense is that it’s not recognizing the ports as up when something is plugged into them. I do not experience any kernel panics or anything like that, simply that it won’t recognize something is plugged in. It lights up green, but doesn’t recognize the interface as ‘up’

You should be able to SMBUS mask without any negative effects just to try it and see if it makes any difference.

Is this the masking tape mod shown above? I’m new to this style of a forum so I’m not sure if that’s what you’re referring to.

Yep, it’s toward the bottom of that post.

I’ll wait for my i340-T2 before I resort to taping up pins on the cards.

If the i340 works I’ll just ditch my 4 PRO/1000 cards.

Hey @Mr_Noah, I could answer a bunch of these - how you making out now?

1 Like

Noticed one of these listed on a seller I follow. just thought I would pass it along if anyone was looking for one. Well that’s not really all that good of a deal with no cpu or ram.

EDIT: Has anyone tried putting a Xeon in one of these? E3-1200 series V6? I would imagine the bios wouldn’t support it.

Hey, apologies been out of town. I’m doing good at the moment. Ended up using my NAS Unraid for all the dockers instead of a separate machine. Haven’t quite gotten to the automation piece though. Everything downloads from deluge to a completed folder which is tied to my movies folder in Plex. Still need to figure out how to get TV to go to TV folder for Plex (Currently dumping over manually once completed.)

I would ask though, since I am not going to use a physical seed box, any insight into a virtual one? I also haven’t found a good cloud service for backup. At about 4TB of data off public indexers is sloooooww. Any private ones worth it?

Thanks again!

Hi all, I’ve got a prodesk 400 G5 with an i5 8500 on the way and wanting to grab some ram in the boxing day sales today/tomorrow. It comes with 8gb already. Can I slap a single crucial 16gb module in the other slot to give me 24gb or would i need to buy 2x16gb. If yes, do i need to buy a set (more expensive) or just two single modules?

You can use 1x8GB and 1x16GB without issue.

1 Like

Thanks, ordered one.

I picked one of these up for pfSense, but have been running into issues getting it to acquire an IP WAN address and assign IP addresses. I am using the IBM 94Y5167 Intel I340-T4 NIC for the LAN ports and the onboard NIC for WAN. I am able to confirm the pfSense box boots to the main screen where I can perform administrative tasks, the Web UI is not available regardless whether it’s set in place of the original router or as a switch on my test bench. Are there special steps/gotchas with setting this box up with pfSense?

Found a seller selling these for only $35 shipped! HP ProDesk 400 G4 SFF w/ Pentium G4400 CPU @ 3.3Ghz - 8GB RAM - No HDD or OS | eBay

1 Like