[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Check out Robs video on YT “The Hookup” for BI performance settings. Also the i7-9700K will need a better cooler than the stock HP unit, as it is a round Ali contact pad that does not totally cover the CPU.
The i5-9500 is a good value and will handle BI well.

1 Like

Was anyone ever able to answer the 64GB memory question?

Buy a 64GB kit from Amazon.

If it works, let us know, use the kit!
If it doesn’t work, let us know. Send the kit back.

Amazon prime is a beautiful thing, sometimes.

For anyone looking to update the BIOS on a Full Ubuntu box (i.e. no Windows partition), you can run Windows from a flash drive and run the HP BIOS update utility from there. You just have to use a PC with Windows to run WintoUSB to perform the Windows install to a flash drive or a Windows inside a VM. It’s a roundabout way to flash the BIOS, but it’s a lot less involved than putting in the original Windows HDD.

Available for $143 from VIPOUTLET via Walmart:

I just picked one up for a plex server. I know an enclosure is frowned upon here for drives, but has anyone been running an enclosure set up successfully? I’m trying to keep price to a minimum so building a second box woulod be too expensive.

The reason we shy away from das is mostly because of cost. To buy a rosewill 4u for drives only, may as well consolidate the entire setup into the chassis.

Actually, the reason we shy away from DAS is that a separate NAS and QS server is not that much more expensive, and the performance/reliability is much higher.

Thanks for the feedback; I’m going to try to price out a separate NAS box. I wish there was something like the HP290 that’s perfect for NAS with the spaces available.

There is, you just have to build it yourself.

IMO, it’s the following:

• NAS Killer 4.1
  • Cooler Master N400 case
  • Arctic fans/CPU cooler
  • LSI or Adaptec SAS HBA
  • As many HDD/SSD as you can fit

If you’re concerned about heat you can switch out the stock cooler for a Cryorig C7 47mm CPU cooler and that takes off a few degrees. I have one in mine w/ some LM and it works great.

I can successfully report that 64gb of ram works on the HP 290. Installed 2x 32gb and the machine booted up no problem.

7 Likes

Anyone know where to get a replacement PSU? Can I use the standard ATX one? My is super loud now.

It’s a proprietary form factor with proprietary connectors, so no you can’t use an ATX PSU. The part number is L09029-800, and they aren’t cheap.

Are you 100% sure it’s the PSU fan, not something else?

Yeah, its a rattling noise with the PSU fan. I stopped the CPU fan and the noise was still there. You think it safe to leave it as is?

Is this still a good pfSense box in 2021? JDM, you mentioned this was your pfSense box in 2019 not sure if that’s changed.

Yes, it’s still overkill for a pfsense box!

Looks like Walmart has the 290 for $136
Would you recommend the 290 or the S01-pF1013w for $165?

This would be strictly for a pfSense build. Trying to decide to go this route or build something but I don’t think I can build a pfSense box for cheaper than $136

If it’s for pfSense you can get an older Dell/HP/Lenovo system with a 4th gen Intel CPU in the $60-75 range. Find one that has a PCIe slot, add a NIC and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

Do I need a nvme ssd for setting up a Plex server? Thanks in advance!