[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

I have one in use already as a plex transcode server, if I get the refund I’d be looking at the mini itx pfense builds.
I’m contemplating the idea of swapping ram and nvme and optane, but not sure if there’s a way to generalize a linux install the same way as Windows or if I’d have to migrate my metadata to storage and do a clean install.
Also to note, I just live chatted with HP and no the warranty doesn’t cover physical damage, but they offered to have it picked up, repaired, and returned within 4-6 business days for the low price of $199. :joy:

1 Like

A while back, we briefly discussed the existence of an m.2 2230 e-key to m.2 2280 physical adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZF1W55/ and wondered if it might allow the use of the wifi card slot for an ssd. I had ordered the adapter and tested it in a 290, and it in fact did Not work - the HP 290 won’t recognize an nvme ssd in the 2230 slot at all.

3 Likes

Relating to PfSense…

My HP 290 at work that I put in as a PfSense box seems sluggish at times. It’s got a quad-port intel nic, not sure of the model.

I was looking at the main login page for the WebGui and down the page is a “LOAD Average”…what is considered good? At home I’m seeing a lot of .31 .28 .24 etc

Just wondering if I need to make some tweaks somewhere.

EDIT: I went into the DNS Resolver> Outgoing Network Interfaces to WAN
Checked Forwarding Mode which gave me a syntax error for Unbound…fixed that.
Checked DNS Registration, Static DHCP, and Reg OpenVPN (for giggles)

This seems to have made my home setup a bit more snappy but it may just be my imagination.

Did you get the iGPU to passthrough to the VM? I cant get the VM to boot when the iGPU is passed through

Hey,
so here in germany i could get this one:

Has someone the ernergy draw for the i3 and the i5 versions?

First let me say - long time reader of this page, first time reply. I bought one of these computers based on the 120$ vip eBay deal when you guys first reported it. I had planned on doing a pfsense box for testing and this seemed like a good deal. I had the optane 16gb drive from a intel NUC so that was free, and as a tech guy I had ram laying around. Bought a dell 4 port nic and set it up tested for a week and it was a good little unit.

Part 2 - removed the dell nic and slapped in a low profile geforce 1030 card, then replaced the optane drive with a 250gb m.2 drive and installed windows 10 pro, office 2019, slapped in a 8TB mechanical drive from a shucked seagate. and tested for plex. DAMN if this little unit performed really well in both kinds of testing. Ended up giving this unit to my son as his dual core laptop was slow as all hell.

Have you guys taken a look at the HP ProDesk 600 G3 ? its about double the size but has more internal bays to use / ect.

1 Like

G3 is 6th/7th gen, G4 would be more equivalent to this machine.

Got one !
A little different it is a HP 280G3 . G5400Gold with 8go, no wifi. 150$
Change the hdd with an 128 ssd sata.
With windows 10, @idle → 10 watts :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

HP 290 on sale again with additional coupon PLUS20 (20% off)

Grade B - $121.72 (after 15% + 20%)

Grade A - $135.52 (after 15% + 20%)

2 Likes

Has anyone upgraded the CPU to something like an i5-9400 and monitored CPU temps and performance with the CPU under heavy load? Wondering how well the cooling works with six cores.

It’s perfectly adequate - if you have cooling issues, I would recommend upgrading to Gelid GC Extreme thermal paste and an Arctic P8 PWM fan.

Is the HP 290 with the Celeron G4900/G4900T up to snuff for a dedicated Blue Iris box? I’m running BI in a Win10 VM on Unraid which has a Xeon E3-1230 v2 (No QS) at the moment but in the process of upgrading some 5 MP cameras to 8 MP, about 5x 8 MP cameras. Thinking about one of these or an OTiS build. Also saw some Dell Optiplex XE3 refurbs with i5-8500 for a decent price too.

@Riggi is the resident BI expert

How do I get the 15% on top of the 20% coupon? I don’t see an option like a few days ago to get the 15% off now.

The 15% off is now gone, only the 20% remains.

Got the 290 delivered today. Opened the box and upon initial inspection heard something rattling inside the box. Couple minutes later finally got the loose piece to come out. Anybody know where this clip might be from within the unit? Looks like some kind of push or retaining clip…

I put a i5-8400 in it. I am running unraid, which doesn’t seem to ramp up the cpu fan speed. Under full load for several hours, it hit 81c. Sounds hot to me, but apparently the max temp on these cpus is 100c.

1 Like

That’s hot, but the load it was under is also not realistic. In normal conditions sounds like you will be totally fine.

I was replying to soupy. I’ve been running it for a few months now. Normal Temps are in the 40s with a couple plex streams going.

1 Like

Additional 15% is back on the “Grade A” option from vipoutlet.