[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Cant seem to find any refurbished p0043w in a decent price range would a hp -a0006 give me the same results

No, the AMD CPU does not have QuickSync.

Any alternative PCs you could recommend has it impossible to find a hp 290-p0043w in my location cheers

The HP 290 comes in and out of stock often, so itā€™s best just to check back and see if itā€™s in stock or not.

4 Likes

Im in Europe ??

Was I supposed to discern that somehowā€¦?

Lol the just dont seem to be easy to get here has America finding it impossible cheers

Itā€™s a US exclusive computer, thatā€™s why it would be hard to find outside of the US :wink:

:rofl: well that might be a issue for me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: if you could recommend any alternative that might be easier to buy Iā€™ll greatly appreciate it delighted I find your forum highly informative for what I was looking regarding plex server :+1:

Iā€™m looking to turn one of these into a Plex server for QuickSync. Is there any issue with keeping Windows? Iā€™m not really comfortable with Linux (yet) but is there a real performance decline going with Windows?

Also, I already have a shuttle xpc sh67h3 machine with an i7 3770. I know that QuickSync has come a long ways recently. Would this Celeron G4900 be a worthwhile step up for QuickSync quality and capability?

*edit: anyone??

Yea and like @Scarecr0w I also checked with direct streamed audio but that honestly didnā€™t seem to add much, maybe 5% tops although it was hard to say for sure with all the bouncing around.

I recall seeing someone saying a Ryzen could do hw transcode in Plex. Any truth to that? Canā€™t find where it was posted.

Itā€™s not supported (and probably wonā€™t be for a long time) and even so, the hardware transcoding looks pretty bad in comparison.

In the event someone needs to know, I put a 2.5gbe pcie card (Link) in and fired up Windows. It was natively recognized, but I donā€™t have a second card to test its speed.

This keeps the x16 open for HBA or whatever else you would want to put in there.

1 Like

I wonder if I can add 8G RAM on top of 4G that I currently have, making it 12G in total. Has anyone tried this yet? Does it work?

yes works fine

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s typically what I recommend!

1 Like

would this be a good alternative

Picked one up yesterday on eBayā€¦$113ā€¦Now I just need the other pieces (mem, ssd) to run PMSā€¦then offload it off of the NAS.
any benefit of installing 16gb mem or not worth the extra $
Still looking for one more for docker stuff
Thanks all

1 Like

Vague request. For what purpose? Regardless of your answer: No, itā€™s not a good alternative. The 290 is high value for performance. A T30 does not have that same value at that price, itā€™s built for server purposes. Look for used Dell Optiplex for an alternative to what HP 290 people are doing.