[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Hi, I have a plex server set up on one of these with the recommended additional 8GB ram, a 256GB NMVe and hardware encoding enabled. Im on ubuntu server 20.04 LTS and can confirm that vaapi is being used for transcodes but Im seeing like 25% cpu usage per stream when transcoding 1080p 10-bit HEVC content to 8MB H264 1080p.

Whats the usage look like per those 21 streams? Or were those less involved H264 1080p → 720p 2MB or something? I did get my hp 290 “refurbished” so Im wondering if that may be part of this. Basically, any input on what “normal” usage per stream will be appreciated.

I have put together my 290 and have installed linux for the first time. I’m having permission issues with my new hdd. Its a 8tb sata plugged into a LSI 9207-8E. drive shows up fine dev/sda1. I mounted it to mnt/sda1 and copied my media from windows to it. I even got PMS server to finally see the drive and folders. I thought I had the permissions thing set. But … now qbittorrent can’t see the folder. I tried a command and totally screw up sudo and still qbittorrent can’t see the folder.

I’ll be reinstalling Ubuntu when I get home to fix what I have done at this point. But what are the recommendations for where I mount my media drive? and give permissions so that every app installed by me automatically has permission to use the drive?

I am a very novice Linux user as well but something that always works but isn’t the technically best way to do things (lol) is do:

sudo chmod ugo+rwx /your/file/path/here

This gives all users/groups/owners read/write/execution access to the folder. Do this for each media folder.
@Dan_King

1 Like

OK. My question now is do all apps, plex, qbittorrent, lidarr, radarr, filebot, have access as well at that point?

Are apps viewed as groups??

I’m having a really slow upload on this new machine. I upgraded the RAM and everything has been working fine. All of the other computers in the house have a faster upload. This one is only getting about 2Mbs up. Downloads are fine. I deleted all of the McAfee stuff, but it didn’t seem to help. Any ideas? Plex uploads at that data rate obviously aren’t cutting it :frowning:

What are you using it for? Are you still using the stock HDD? That’s 100% a bad idea.

standard media drive. so after I reload the OS it will be at dev/sda1

Where is the standard place to mount this /home/media?? and then I edit fstab to be there on boot? I feel like I missed a step last time and then went down a wrong hole way too far.

Out of curiosity, why? I don’t doubt it but if I’m the only user anyways and just running transmission what’s the security risk? Genuinely asking. Thanks!

The issue isn’t security, it’s performance. The performance will be awful.
Snag a small SSD and use that for boot/applications, and use the HDD for a landing drive.

Ah I thought you were referring to my permission setting… Unless that does impact performance?

I did the HP backup to a thumb drive, swapped out the hdd for a 256GB SSD, reinstalled and everything seemed fine. I plugged the HP into different switches, directly into the router and lastly directly into the cable modem. It still has a much slower upload than all of the other computers in my house. I have transferred files to/from the network and they are fast. Whenever use Speedtest.net, my upload is 2.5 at best. Any ideas what could be causing this? I went through and deleted the “extras” that come with it. All of the McAfee software and such.

Sorry yeah I was confused as well. I have a 512gb nvme drive that the system is on. The 8tb drive is just one of my media drives.

After I installed it and moved my media over I didn’t have permission to point to the media within PMS, I messed around a bit and got it working.

After I installed qbittorent and tried to pick my download directory I had permission issues again. Once again I messed around and killed Sudo by using a 777 command. Clearly breaking s bunch of stuff in the process.

I’m going to start all over later tonight and go a bit slower.

Is this drive from a windows system. i just had this same issue. I had a 12 Tb storage drive i brought over from my windows Pc and doing the same things. Try this command - sudo ntfsfix /wherever/thedriveis. that fixed my issue and im able to do all that i want without issue.

1 Like

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu. Took my time and haven’t had any more issues. Getting familiar with things is going to take some time. Plex is running great. Just have to get a couple other things set up, then hopefully it’ll all be automated and I’ll log in remotely when I need to.

Maybe don’t chown 777 everything :slight_smile:

Imagine not owning everything

yikes

Yeah I won’t be doing that again.

Not everything lol just those media folders. Obviously the ideal way to do this is define the user that is running the Plex and add-on apps and explicitly set rw perms for those users.

I add my user to the wheel group but ultimately I think it’s better to have it done as sudo chown Plex:Plex /Plexmedia

Or whatever

This PC will require an external HDD solution to make it Plex-friendly.
Can anyone help me out? I’d like at least 10 HDD slots.

I already have three hot-swappable iStarUSA adapters (3x 5.25" bays → 5x HDD trayless hot swap), what’s the most compact and energy efficient way to convert these into an external DAS for the p0043?

I could mount them in a PC case with a power supply, but it seems inefficient to have a 600w PSU powering 15 HDDs. Right?