[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Got it. Ty! I won’t be using it for storage, just running the OS and PMS app (and metadata, etc). I just updated the BIOS now and ordered a NVMe. Thanks again!

the 16GB optane is for pfSense use, not for Plex.

1 Like

Just ordered 2 of them on Amazon, 1 will be a Pfsense box, not sure what ill do with the other one yet.

1 Like

Can some one please help to confirm whether this NIC card is a correct one? I see a High profile and low profile NC360T https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NC360T-Dual-Port-PCIe-Gigabit-Network-Server-Adapter-D51930-002-Low-Profile/153318816426

Any ideas how to make hdd cage more quite? Annoying metallic sound vibration when 8tb wd red is working.
Same question about cpu cooler - my g5400 is 42C only with permanent ~50% load - thanks to downvolt. fan is annoying and no options in bios to slow down it.

1 Like

Can you fit rubber spacers between the HDD and the cage? I’ve had no issues with mine fan-wise, super quiet. You could try to find an aftermarket cooler but it will need to be low-profile like a Noctua like NH-l9i

2 Likes

Hi all, this question may already have been asked but the search term is too short to find any posts. I like in the UK and would like to complete this build, does anyone know the equivalent to the 290-p0043w available in the UK as it looks like this was a US only model.

I have been running plex on Ubuntu for a few weeks/month now and I never updated the bios. I put a new nvme M.2 drive in it and that is what Ubuntu is running on. The original drive is just sitting there doing nothing. Is it still possible to boot into windows to update the bios? Is it even needed to be done?

this was an utter and total disaster :(((( I tried at least 5-6 different kinds of usb sticks / UEFI / EFI options…if you have the option, FOR SURE, upgrade it prior to wiping

plex trancoding?? :slight_smile:

and just to point out the obvious for everyone, this won’t work if you already replaced the stock HD with the nvme one since the UEFI partition with your key was on the old HD.

No, the key is located on the motherboard, not on the HD.

1 Like

What was your solution as far as sharing pi to plex? I’ve got basically the same idea, been using a samba share to access from laptops/kodi pi’s for years.

Also, if you went with a new drive in the hp290, did you bother moving anything from the pi drive (plex data), did you uninstall PMS from the pi (I don’t know much about uninstalling from linux, I’ve just killed services and deleted directories in the past), or just abandon in place? I haven’t looked at the size of the metadata folder, but I was just planning on letting plex recreate on new machine.

I abandoned it. Uninstalled it and just turned the pi into a seedbox that runs transmission, sonarr, radarr, jackett. Then I installed a fresh Plex on the nvdme drive post-bios upgrade and re-set up everything for Plex there. So far it screams except for the nagging issue of live TV / dvr which I can’t get to work without a ton of stuttering.

Are there any non-SFF desktop PCs that would be similar to this?
I don’t need the compact size and I like the flexibility of a larger chassis.

I missed out on this sale but I see an HP desktop with a i3-8100 at a reasonable price.

This looks awesome but it’s probably several times more expensive than the 290

It’s probably about 11 290’s.

1 Like

One article I saw said this started at $1600. First thought( before seeing the price) was ooo new proxmox server. Saw the price and laughed at myself for thinking it’d be affordable.

I can’t wait for 5 years from now when they hit the ebays

1 Like

For sure. Also waiting for Xeon d boards/kits to come down some as well. 12c/24t with 40w(I think. Can’t remember) sounds awesome for a two node cluster.