[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Oh nice :+1:

In other news, I received my 16G ram upgrade todayā€¦ I can confirm these systems work with 16G dimms.

For reference I ordered this memory: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FRBCQE

2 Likes

Well it didnā€™t take too long for memtest to lock up the system again. Switching ram to the other slot and trying again. I have a feeling this is a bad board, memtest failures donā€™t typically lock up the entire system. I guess either way - bad ram or bad system board its worth sending back.

1 Like

I was having issues with a DIMM slot not being recognized and did a troubleshooting chat session. They agreed to RMA and ship both ways at their expense. I still have 4 months warranty remaining. They sent a nice big box and bubble packing, tape and prepaid return shipping label and detailed instructions. I ended up not doing RMA since I traced to motherboard conflict with a Mellanox ConnextX-3 dual port 10G/40G/56G NIC I was using.

Did you open the RMA with vipoutlet or HP directly?

Does anyone know what kind of HDD caddy I can use for the disc drive on these.
nvm found it in the threads above! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIUQYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?tag=serverforums-20

The RMA was with hp directly. I think itā€™s the way to go because these machines still have factory warranty and I would guess they can replace with new spares since itā€™s going to a HP service center. Login to the hp site enter your serial number and it will tell you your warranty status. They donā€™t care how you acquired the machine.

So, for the Plex box build, Ubuntu 19.04 disco dingo is the correct release?

Basically all systemd distros of Linux can run Plex media server, which is most of the popular choices. I am unclear if you can run it on any other init systems such as sysv, runit, or musl so basically steer clear of Void, Porabula, Slackware, or Alpine.

I use Arch and it runs great but i think the recommended ubuntu is an easier choice for those breaking into Linux. Iā€™ve also tested with the latest Mint and it works fine there too.

Yes, 19.04 is the correct one.

Just because they can run them, doesnā€™t mean that they are cut out for QS HW transcoding. A ton of users have already experienced issues with other linux versions besides 19.04.

1 Like

What kernel is 19.04 on? Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s a kernel problem then or maybe itā€™s because unbuntu tends to handle 3rd party drivers better than others.

I havenā€™t messed with quicksync yet. Do you need Plex pass in order for it to work?

Yes, you need Plex Pass for HW transcoding. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a kernel limitation or a driver limitation, but honestly in my view it doesnā€™t matter - as of right now, 19.04 desktop is fully functional. Since itā€™s a dedicated Plex machine, Iā€™m not sure why the distribution matters.

Yeah Iā€™m just curious because thereā€™s always a 1000 ways in Linux to skin the same cat. There just canā€™t be anything special about 19.04 that canā€™t be done elsewhere.

I was reading this but itā€™s above my pay grade.

Just ordered my HP 290. Am I missing anything for my QS Plex build?

Should I make any changes?

Feel free to test and report back, I tested the major versions of Ubuntu and found 19.04 to be the one that worked out of the box. For purposes of the guide and most peopleā€™s needs, simple setup is what is needed. Anything elseā€¦ and youā€™re on your own :slight_smile:

Looks good to me!

Since Iā€™m going to Micro Center to pick the 1TB up, Iā€™d figured Iā€™d get RAM there too. Any choice between these? They seem to be only a look difference.

Whichever is cheaper.

See if they have a good price on 4GB sticks, the 12GB total is about 5GB more than you need at max usage.

Theyā€™re the same price at $30 and 4GB is $20. Iā€™ll look some more.

Nope, just more $20 4GB sticks.