[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

@JDM_WAAAT I only unchecked the BD PROCHOT in throttle stop. The computer was stuck at 0.78GHz when I booted it up the day it was delivered.

I haven’t checked if the bios is up to date. It’s version 843F vF.46, dated 8/3/2021. I’ll try and look at HPs site for a bios update tonight.

The bios is reporting the clock speed as 800MHz so that’s inline with my issue.

What board revision and memory did you use? I have a 843F and tried using some dell memory with samsung modules.

I also have this bios version and board. It’s not available on the HP support site which I find to unusual. Did you end up going back a version?

Am I unlucky or is this a firmware issues?

Bought a 290-p0043w system with 4GB Ram, 500GB HD off ebay

Planned use: pfsense

Either this was unused stock or expertly refurbished, came in original HP box. protective plastic was still on the faceplate, zero dust. No scratches or other damage.

stripped out the HD and optical disk.

installed an extra 8GB dimm. system now has 12GB (yes I know total over kill

installed Optane 32GB 512GB nvme drive. (Yes again total overkill, but stuff is cheap on ebay why get good enough when you can have total overkill for $15 more.)

that all worked fine and as expected.

now the issues:

picked up a Intel 82575EB Dual RJ45 Port 1Gbps Ethernet PCI-E X1
US Intel 82575EB Dual RJ45 Port 1Gbps Ethernet PCI-E X1 Gigabit Server Adapter 653846689078 | eBay

installed it, plugged in network cable my mikrotik cloud switch reports it as 100mbit. Changed cable, same problem changed port, same problem, plugged it into another port that is known good at 1Gbit. Tried both ports on the card.

pfsense does not show the card or ports as available.

second issue

Bought REFURBISHED Dual 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI-e x1 Network Card REFURBISHED Dual 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI-e x1 Network Card 810154018697 | eBay

this card when plugged into the switch shows up as 10 megabit ports on the switch … pfsense doesn’t detect the card. I didn’t expect to see a full 2.5gbit link. But I did expect 1Gbit link

Am I just unlucky? Or a firmware issue?

MIkrotik css326-24g-2s+R M was just put into use today. Updated to the latest firmware.

Also found and disabled slot security on both slots.

bought a second dual intel gigabit nic, same issue. I think I have spent more in nics than I did on the PC now.

not showing up in device list in pfsense 2.6

anyone else have ideas?

Did you SMbus mask?

1 Like

Does anyone know if this card would be compatible with the HP 290-p0043w running Windows Server 2019 (version 1809, build 17763)?

I want to buy two of them to connect it to my main PC (also running Windows 10) for a 10 gigabit connection. This is the cable I have:

The card: most likely. Windows is typically used by homelab folks to flash Connectx-3 cards. I have two port 40gbe cards and Windows recognizes them. I’d expect the one you posted to be find also

my first guess on your slow down is perhaps the network port. More specifically perhaps you need to have 2 NIC or more. such that one is dedicated to the downloading traffic and anything external, while the other port/line is dedicated to the internal network delivery. and there maybe a 3rd would help.

Right now on my box I run with truenas SCALE, I have all my external traffic on one port direct to my router/switch. and another internal traffic port (jellyfin, smb shares, etc) goes to another switch port. at least this way it’s not all trying to go down one pipe. I had a 4 port NIC laying around though but a 2 port does the job.

Just a guess other issue might be memory bandwidth limitation.

Years later… for your 9600k, did you use the HP-provided heatsink/fan, or did you use something different?

Yep! New thermal paste but stock heatsink & fan. Didn’t want to mess with measuring anything out with it all slotting in nicely with the case. Still going strong with a lot more transcoding these day.

Came across a 290-p0046. The only difference I notice in specs is a i3-8100. I can assume I’d be able to follow any exact uses that the 290-p0043w builds provide?

Yeah, you don’t need to change a thing to use the i3-8100 system instead.

1 Like

Since there’s one NVMe slot and two SATA- is it possible to do Pfsense and Plex transcoding on the same unit? I.e. 16gb NVMe for Pfsense, then one SSD SATA & HDD for Plex storage and transcoding? Or would I need two seperate units to accomplish?

Don’t do this. Your router should be its own thing.

2 Likes

question are these boxes available for a reasonable cost again?

my googlefu might suck but I was having a hard time getting one at reasonable cost (150 or less for a 4 core)

eBay search links for good-to-go quicksync boxes:

2 Likes

My stock machine has served me well for about 2 years as a Plex server. Growing family so I have a few more users now and would like a little more cpu overhead. The i5-9500t is a little larger step than I’d like but should provide plenty of headroom, I think. Would like to run it by you guys first - it’s LGA1151 - but I’m finding mixed results on whether it’d be a straight swap. If not this, what has been tried?

Both the i5-8500t and the i5-9500t work great in the HP290. I have one of each and have had no issues. HP290s are great.

1 Like

You should have no problem with the stock CPU unless you’ve taken it upon yourself to do other things on your HP 290 besides plex.