[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

has anyone seen how well one of these might fit INSIDE one of the RSV cases?
current setup : 6 year old, basically same hardware as 290 (pentium g5200 or something like that, 4gb, nics) but power supply to power up HDD’s
passthrough sff8087 to sff8088 to dell r710 HBA
would like to literally put this hardware inside RSV case, as pfsense
maybe even stack another directly on top of that, if dremel is needed, and use that cpu/mobo/psu to power up drives, freenas (only 4 at the moment…been upping size and downgrading amount of drives)
i’m interested, so that I can rackmount these things. just bought 4. :blush:

Dang i was looking at interface not length. Still, might be able to hang out based on orientation. Will look later.

So it doesn’t look like these are available in AU and currency conversion is killing this as an option as well.

I have seen this model in AU stores: https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-slimline-290-a0002a-desktop-black.html?CAWELAID=720013240000416639&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpfDLjNmp5wIVjx0rCh3tlAUWEAYYAiABEgKg2PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is this similar and would I still need to make modifications to it?

Not very worthwhile at that price.
This seller ships worldwide, $39.99 USD flat rate for AU/NZ it seems. $210 USD is still pretty solid for the lands down under as far as I can tell.

RE: /dev/shm/

Would that be the same for Plex in a docker in UNRAID?

You’ll have to pass it through to the container if you want to use the RAM disk for transcoding. Here’s an article I wrote on the subject a few months ago: [Guide] Plex Transcoding and RAM Disks

hey there, so I moved 4 folders from my windows plex folder to the ubuntu plex media folder

• Media folder, metadata folder, plug-in support, and plugins

You will need to be in root or sudo nautilus so that it will allow you to overwrite the folders already there.

Also, before you copy anything over, make sure to stop the plex service
sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver
sudo killall -u plex

Then change permissions and ownership to plex
Sudo chown -R plex:plex /var/lib/plexmediaserver

After everything has copied, start plex again
sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver

You might need to reshare the libraries with your users again
You will need to redit your plex media links to where you house your media.

thanks for taking the time to write that. so now i am contemplating moving the transcode to RAM from my SSD. I need to stop reading this thread cause I want to buy more stuff for it now. haha.

So if I were to buy 2 X 8 sticks for a total of 16 GBs ram, would half of that be enough to use RAM for transcoding?

I mean, if you are trying to save IO that’s one thing, but performance difference has to be minimal. Personally, I’d just use the included 500gb hard drive if you are worried about SSD murdering.

Also, i read the orientation wrong on the M.2 slot. Looks like pci-e adapter it is. whoops. a 22110 definitely is too large.

Well I think one of the three 290-p0043w systems I bought died on me. I had the three nodes in a proxmox cluster, came home to see node 2 was offline. The entire system locked up, vga output and all. After a hard power cycle the system no longer turns on. The power LED flashes for 5 seconds in 5 second intervals. I couldn’t find any error code referencing that pattern, anyone have any idea?

that sucks- take out the RAM if it doesn’t beep its probably defective. Return, and get a new one.
edit: oh wait you said it no longer turns on… probably ded :cry:

Well I took your advice and removed the ram - system beeped with an error code (I presume the no-ram error). Put the ram back in and now it turns on.

Running memtest… could be a bad dimm, or worse a bad system board.

1 Like

Oh nice :+1:

In other news, I received my 16G ram upgrade today… I can confirm these systems work with 16G dimms.

For reference I ordered this memory: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FRBCQE

2 Likes

Well it didn’t take too long for memtest to lock up the system again. Switching ram to the other slot and trying again. I have a feeling this is a bad board, memtest failures don’t typically lock up the entire system. I guess either way - bad ram or bad system board its worth sending back.

1 Like

I was having issues with a DIMM slot not being recognized and did a troubleshooting chat session. They agreed to RMA and ship both ways at their expense. I still have 4 months warranty remaining. They sent a nice big box and bubble packing, tape and prepaid return shipping label and detailed instructions. I ended up not doing RMA since I traced to motherboard conflict with a Mellanox ConnextX-3 dual port 10G/40G/56G NIC I was using.

Did you open the RMA with vipoutlet or HP directly?

Does anyone know what kind of HDD caddy I can use for the disc drive on these.
nvm found it in the threads above! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIUQYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?tag=serverforums-20

The RMA was with hp directly. I think it’s the way to go because these machines still have factory warranty and I would guess they can replace with new spares since it’s going to a HP service center. Login to the hp site enter your serial number and it will tell you your warranty status. They don’t care how you acquired the machine.

So, for the Plex box build, Ubuntu 19.04 disco dingo is the correct release?