NAS Killer v4 Build - What do you think?

This is what I’m planning for a build soon. Give me your feedback. I’ll be chucking in some old hard drives from my old server (all less than 8TB) to go with what is here.

This will be used for storage plus become my primary Plex server in the house and run a few docker containers to manage automated downloading.

Component Details Price
Motherboard ACER/ECS Q77H2-AM 23.25
CPU Intel Core i5-3570S 35
RAM 16 GB (2x8GB) 50
Cooler Thermaltake Gravity i2 9
SATA Cable 6 Pack 8
Case Fractal Design Node 804 119.99
Power Supply EVGA 500 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 500W (B-Stock) 55.64
Thermal Paste GELID GC-Extreme 3.5g 15
Fans Arctic F8 PWM PST - Value Pack (5pc) 24
SATA/Molex MOLEX to SATA Cables (for shucked drives) 7
STORAGE Details Price
Cache 480 GB Pioneer SSD 48
Parity WD Elements 8GB (Shuck) 140
Data WD Elements 8GB (Shuck) 140
  1. You need P12 PWM PST for that case, not the F8.
  2. EVGA B-stock Wednesdays will surely yield a better deal than that PSU. I’ve seen that one for as low as $25-$30 on Wednesdays.
  3. GC Extreme, while it’s our favorite, is absolutely not necessary with this setup. Especially considering it costs more than the CPU cooler.

Which RAM were you looking at specifically? Just to be sure that it’s compatible.

Thanks for the super fast response! Updated table below with changes and more details. If you don’t mind to take another look I’d appreciate it.

• Updated the fans like you suggested… I have no idea what the difference is but you are the pro here. To be honest the case fans that come with the thing are probably OK for me but its worth $30 if it makes it quieter.
  • I guess I don’t understand B-Stock Wednesdays… they have a sale every Wednesday? Do I just check their site on Wednesday morning and snatch something up?
  • Is that cooler going to come with some thermal paste? I don’t have any laying around… the cheapest stuff on Amazon is about $7… I guess saving $7 is saving $7 though.
  • Added more details about specifically what I’m looking at so you can double check me.
Component Details Price
Motherboard ACER/ECS Q77H2-AM 23.25
CPU Intel Core i5-3570S 35
RAM 16GB (2x8GB) SAMSUNG DDR3-1600MHz PC3-12800U-11-13 47.99
Cooler Thermaltake Gravity i2 9
SATA Cable 6 Pack 8
Case Fractal Design Node 804 119.99
Power Supply EVGA 500 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 500W (B-Stock) 55.64
Thermal Paste GELID GC-Extreme 3.5g 15
Fans ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 27.99
SATA/Molex MOLEX to SATA Cables (for shucked drives) 7
STORAGE Details Price
Cache 480 GB Pioneer SSD 48
Parity WD Elements 8GB (Shuck) 140
Data WD Elements 8GB (Shuck) 140

I appreciate that you didn’t delete your original post. Seeing things like that, even if there are changes that need to be made can be really helpful to other users.

1. The fan difference is that the F8 are 80mm fans (wrong size). The P12 are 120mm fans (correct size). Arctic also makes F12 fans, but IMO the P12 fans are much nicer. Quieter with about the same amount of airflow. It’s their new pressure-optimized fan design.
  2. B-Stock Wednesdays is exactly that - a sale every Wednesday. It starts at 12:00 AM PST every Wednesday. Best to check it as soon as you can in the morning when you get up, or stay up late if your schedule allows.
  3. The cooler comes with thermal paste.
1 Like