NAS Killer 4.5 Learning Build

I’ve been collecting scrap metal for a long time with no real purpose in mind other than taming my media collection one day. Since discovering serverbuilds.net I’ve decided to get more serious about the type of hardware I would use for this purpose. I’m also going to use this build to push my understanding of linux, vm, networking and whatever else interests me along the way

Case: Norco 4U Rack Mount Server Chassis RPC-450
Motherboard:Intel S1200V3RP Server Board *Ebay Combo
CPU: Xeon E3-1225v3 LGA1150 *
RAM: 2x Kingston 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz ECC UDIMM 240-Pin 1Rx8 1.35V CL11 *
SSD: 2x Team Group L5 LITE 3D 2.5" 240GB SATA III
CPU Cooler: Stock *
HDD: 4x WD 10tb Whites
PSU: Seasonic S12III 450W 80+ Bronze
Fans: TBD

2 Likes

Update #1 Assembly after testing
20190818_130827_HDR 20190818_143234 20190818_152738 20190818_153155

Build is looking fantastic. How is it working out.
I’m about to use my spares to build a server NAS/PLEX using a rack mount case.

Couple of Q’s - how do you find the noise levels?

Also did you consider a Hot Swap solution for the HDD bay?

Great work! Tks in advance.

Arctic fans are very quiet, especially their new P series. Likely the most noise will come from HDDs.

Hi JDM_WAAAT, thanks for all the brilliant input and knowledge. Really appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks for the interest TheGame. I’ve put the intel board/cpu combo on hold for now. The board wants to run in a default state all the time cause it’s missing an input from a redundant power supply. Sounded like an airplane taking off. I’ve switched the rest of the build into a NK4 with a different board. It runs whisper quiet in my rack and the Arctic fans are the reason. I wish I could could get my dumb netgear 24 port switch as quiet the server.
I didn’t go with hot swap mostly because I’ve had hot swap 3.5/2.5 bays in my work and home desktops and I just don’t use them enough. The way (this is the way) that JDM advises building these seems to be a little more hands off from a reliability aspect so hot swapping a drive is really just one more failure point. Same holds true for nearly everything. More connections between components leads to more failure (KISS)

Thanks for the reply! Interesting response and food for thought.

I’m reading through everything on ServerBuilds atm, alot of info but tingling good stuff!

Ive had my everything box (I mean everything lol) running for 10 years now and its time to move away from DriveBender and create my own NK4. Im happy Ive got reusable hardware for it but wanted to let it run in a server case (quietly) and if needed pull a faulty drive and replace it if needed without shutting down - but listening to what your saying Im on the fence.

Think my the main questions for me are :slight_smile:

Reuse what I have
Case to house the NK
Noise Levels
Maintanance
Expandability
Power Draw

Alot of choices but all the answers are here … feeling a bit excited hahahaha

Thanks again for the response and feedback! on your build.