[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

Where are you getting these prices from? Are they used and off ebay?

Are you referring to the guide or his prices specifically?

@dize815_US the E3 1270 v1 on that mb will (may?) be stuck at 1333 mhzā€¦ youā€™d need to update the bios on the mb to move up to v2 cpus, pcie3, and 1600mhz etc ddr3.

From the manual: Four (4) SDRAM DIMM slots support up to 32 GB of DDR3 Unbuffered, ECC 1600/1333/1066 MHz memory. Note: For memory speed 1600 MHz support, an E3- 1200 v2 CPU is required.

Just FYI, for 99% of what people do, 1333 vs. 1600 will not matter.

Also, 1600 should downclock to 1333 even if itā€™s not updated.

1 Like

How many SAS drives can I use from one of these? LSI 9201-8i 6Gbps SAS/SATA controller IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID + SATA Cable | eBay

These are fairly expensive, wow.

I have bought this so far:

CM Elite 350
Acer Q77H2-AM
i5 3570S
16GB DDR3
Thermaltake Gravity i2
6 pack of sata cables.

It looks like the SAS drives are much cheaper than SATA? Which is why I was wondering it would be cheaper to use SAS with a connector compared to just a SATA drive.

Thanks!

Whatā€™s wrong with the LSI cards that are linked above? They are quite a bit cheaper.

You can connect 8 drives natively to the SAS HBA, 32 if you add a HP SAS expander.

His prices specifically.

In the ā€œOther parts to considerā€ section the ā€œFansā€ link goes to a cable, not fans.

I always wanted to do the NSFW build but then I got a free HP ML310e gen8 with an e3-1230 v2. Will I get significantly better transcoding performance if i switch to a processor with iGPU like the 1260L/1265L?

I know the general rule is 2000 passmark per transcode, but how does iGPU factor into this?

Edit - plus I was hoping the iGPU was going to help when I roll out an IP camera NVR system like Zoneminder or BlueIris.

Fixed, thank you!

If youā€™re going to use the iGPU for Zoneminder or BlueIris, I would not recommend using it at the same time for Plex. I wouldnā€™t even recommend using it for Plex in the first place, because the transcoded streams look really bad.

@JDM_WAAAT Well that answers it then. Wonā€™t waste money upgrading the CPU. Thanks

Thanks so much for this! Iā€™ve been lurking for awhile but think Iā€™m finally gonna build the exact mini ITX you have here. Iā€™m wanting to keep it as quiet as possible and was wondering what your thoughts are on using the Arctic Alpine 12 Passive (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZZZ4DQ) with the Xeon 1260L. Otherwise Iā€™ll probably go with a Freezer 12 for its ā€œsemi-passiveā€ feature. Thanks in advance.

If you want it to be as quiet as possible, typically the bigger ones are quieter. Iā€™d recommend a Freezer 12 or even the Hyper 212, if itā€™ll fit.

2 Likes

@JDM_WAAAT for sure, thanks! The one I shared is actually passive though, I was wondering whether you think itā€™ll be okay for a Xeon in a mini-ITX case. The passive cooler is rated up to 47W (the 1260L is 45), but Iā€™m curious how well you think itā€™ll work in practice.

EDIT: This will be pretty much exclusively used as a Plex server which primarily streams locally but pretty regularly has 2-3 remote streams going concurrently.

Working on a build with the DQ77KB mobo. Will the E3-1270 work with this board? Any help would be appreciated.

No, the 1270 will not work in that motherboard.

Referring to the supported CPU list (origin here):

i7-3770S and E3-1265L V2 are the highest supported processors.

Thank you that was my thought. I got a little trigger happy and ordered one before checking the full list of supported CPUs. Between the 2 do you have a recommendation? I plan to use this as an additional build next to my NSFW server.

No spare parts, only unfinished builds! Make two boxes, one for a dedicated NAS, and one for a dedicated serverā€¦ :slight_smile:

You could always turn the DQ77KB into a pfSense box, thatā€™s what I and many others have done.