[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

Thanks I’ll check it out.

Thinking about the following build, it would be my first server build and looking for any feedback or comments

Type Part Expected Price
Case Rosewill 4U Server Chassis (RSV-L4500) $141.00
Motherboard SuperMicro X9SCL $45.00
CPU E3 1270 $48.00
RAM Hynix 16GB 2x 8GB PC3-12800E 1600MHz “ECC” “UDIMM” Dual DDR3 $78.00
CPU Cooler Thermaltake Gravity i2 5 $10.00
Power Supply 500W I already have -----
Sata Cable 6 Pack SATA cable $8.00
Total ----- $330.00
1 Like

Looks pretty good to me. I would also add the replacement Arctic 120mm and 80mm fans to reduce noise.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the suggestion on the fans

Another question, should I add an SAS expander card or some other ATA add-in card since this board only has SATA 2? I am using primarily as a PLEX server / DVR. Will have 2 SSD’s, 1 2TB drive, 2 4TB drives, and 1 10TB WD shucked drive with hopes of adding more drives over time. Wasn’t sure if speed difference between SATA2 vs SATA3 would be a limiting factor in this build?

No, regular HDDs won’t even max out SATA 2

So I purchased the ACER/ECS Q77H2-AM. Installed with i5 3570S and 6gb Ram. Installed unraid in USB 2.0. Boot to bios and selected Kingston data traveler 2.0 to boot unraid and… no boot device found. Throw this new guy a bone?

Try making it bootable manually

I’m assuming that means make the unraid USB manually instead of the auto USB creator by unraid?

Check for a make bootable.bat on the drive

Ok. I’ll report back when I get back home. Thx

But yes otherwise try the manual method

Yep. Has the make bootable.bat. here is what I see on flash drive

Oh, you’re going to have a bitch of a time making that on MacOS instead of Windows.

That’s what make bootable mac is for

and to be clear, you have to run the “make_bootable_mac”. Just having it on the flash drive doesn’t do anything

Ok. Just ran flash drive make bootable mac.

Tried with no luch. BUT, did have time to tinker. Work in the early AM. I’ll try tomorrow and report back.

@Bobo When you ran it from the terminal what output did you get? Any errors?

It asked if I wanted to enable uefi boot.
I selected no bc my bios are not uefi.
Dist work so I ran bootable_mac again and selected yes. Still no boot.

Both times it said successful in terminal.

Sweet victory. Manually created flash. Set it as first boot priority. And… BOOM. PRECLEARING HAS BEGUN!

1 Like