NAS 4.0 Build - Plex Server Feedback

Hello,

I’m building a Plex server. It will also be used to backup some home camera footage. I posted this build on Reddit and got some feedback but wanted to post here and make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

Outstanding questions/concerns:

1. OS: I’m most familiar with Windows but was thinking unRAID might be the best suited for my purposes and I’m willing to learn something new but can’t sink days into it. From my basic understanding unRAID aggregates all hard disk space and treats it as one drive which seems pretty straight forward and logical.
  2. Power supply? Can somebody please provide a recommendation?
  3. The server will be in the family room where the router is, so I’d prefer it not to be insanely loud. Is this going to be a problem?
Item Model $$
Case Rosewill 4U RSV-L4500 $141.16
Motherboard Supermicro - X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 $88.88
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 $144.95
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1270 V2 $90
RAM Crucial 2x8GB DDR3L UDIMM $75.99
SATA Cables 6 pack SATA cables $7.99
SDD Pioneer NVMe 512GB $57.99
TOTAL $462

Thanks for all the help.

1. Unraid is pretty easy to pick up and understand. It’s all webui based.
  2. Standard power supply fits in the rosewill. Have you seen the guides/videos?
  3. This will depend heavily on your family’s tolerance for noise and if you choose to replace the fans or not. On my similar build, I have a fan blowing in the room which is louder than the 20 drives + powersupply of the case for my NAS.

The 1265L V2 is really bad value. I’d just go for a 1260L for less than 1/4 of the price.

Disregarding all that, Supermicro does not recommend using Xeons with integrated GPUs in that motherboard. Be careful to check all specs for compatibility, the guide can’t list everything.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely double check the spec requirements. Sorry for the oversight.

Thanks for the feedback. We have two dogs and usually a fan going so I don’t think we’re super sensitive. If it’s that loud, I suppose I can always swap fans out after building.

I have not see the power supply guides/videos but will seek them out.

Thanks again.

I’m just making a general statement, there’s nothing to be sorry for!

You’re doing the right thing by asking for help before purchasing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I updated the CPU to the XEON E3 1270 v2 and chopped off about $50 which is nice. Thanks again for the catch on incompatible specs.