Lenovo M720q Tiny - Pentium Gold G5400T, 4GB DDR4, no HDD, with PSU - $149.99

not sure about best, but if you go with ubuntu you will always be able to find an example of how to do stuff. Thats why I stick to ubuntu.

darn, was looking to pick one of these up but it looks like theyā€™re OOS. I only started following this forum a few months ago ā€“ is it common for boxes like this or the HP 290 to come up used at around the price point / value?

In case anyone else runs into the issue, I had to edit Grub to add ā€œnomodesetā€ when booting. Once that was done then it booted with no issues into Ubuntu. Guess somehow mine was having problems with the displays or something. Otherwise it seems to be running fine now!

odd, I didnā€™t have any issue with 20.04!

Yeah, 20.04 here and had to change it. Worked fine in the HP290, but the M720Q just needed a quick change for some reason. All good now!

1 Like

Shout out to @JDM_WAAAT for sharing the deal!

And a special Thank You to @ALANMAN for the ram. He was even generous enough to throw in a couple ServerBuilds stickers. This place is straight up awesomesauce!

2 Likes

Agreed. Between the two of them my wallet has been left very unhappy lately, but Iā€™m definitely enjoying the plunge! Plus I now have stickers to slap on my cabinet!

3 Likes

Same here. I could only boot with safe graphics mode. Otherwise it would freeze every time it tried to load into the gui. Adding nomodeset fixed it.

1 Like

VGA or HDMI? Iā€™m wondering if that makes any difference.

No difference for me. I started off using VGA, but then I also tested DP and HDMI. All three froze in the exact same spot. I also attempted to install Pop!_OS just as a sanity check, but that froze as well.

There doesnā€™t seem to be any ill effect with using the nomodeset option.

1 Like

Both ports had the same result for me as well.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the info all!

Just wanted to post an update about the order I placed for the riser card from that Encompass site. They pushed my order back another month. Original date of purchase was June 14, 2020. They were supposed to ship it by July 15, 2020. I just got an email stating that my order has been pushed back till August 13, 2020. Playing it by ear for now, but I will cancel it and get a refund if they try to push the order back again. Iā€™ll post another update in about a month.

4 Likes

I have two m720qā€¦1st one I was able to install Ubuntu with no issues. the 2nd one booted off the USB to install Ubuntu. Got as far ā€œcomputer nameā€ when it just froze upā€¦so I attempted to boot off the USB againā€¦this time I get past the 100% of checking driveā€¦ Ubuntu on the bottom of the screen and thatā€™s it. Nada more
These pc are identicalā€¦donā€™t get it.
So Iā€™d like to try this ā€œnomodesetā€ option. Is this setting temporary? How do I get into grub and change settings on the m720?
Any help would be greatly appreciatedā€¦TIA

Itā€™s temporary to get you to boot into Ubuntu, then you can edit things permanently once booted. Honestly, this site will provide an easy way to do it plus screenshots:

1 Like

Does anyone happen to have an extra one of these they donā€™t want/need?

Chances are someone will post it in Pawn Shop WTS forum if they have one and donā€™t need it

FYI, The M710q boot fine with i7-6700, non-T versions. Havenā€™t stress tested it yet though.

G4560T ā†’ i7-6700

1 Like

FYI the PCIE riser cards and Lenovo specific bracket/baffle can now be easily found on eBay for about $35. The part number to search is 01AJ940. I just picked up one of these boxes with a G5400T, Intel 4 port nic and running pfsense on it now. Working great!

2 Likes

This sellers accepted an offer for $120 and this one includes a I3-8100T Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q, intel i3-8100T@3.10GHz, 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM, WIN 11 PRO | eBay