[Guide] JDM's Mini-ITX pfSense builds

The max temp on that CPU is 65°C. Check the BIOS settings for CPU Fan control. The default settings are WAY too high for that CPU. You can adjust the alarm temperature, as well as the target temperature for the CPU fan. For the case I’m using, I found that setting the target temperature at 50°C gave a good balance of maintaining the temperature without sounding like a jet engine.

I set the BIOS as tkohhh suggested and its running like a jet engine, but I’m maintaining mid 40s with decently high traffic.

Follow up: was getting into the 50-60 range consistently under heavy load with the case closed. Left it running open over the weekend. Added two Noctua 40x20 fans to the front panel today, closed her back up, and will see how it goes.

Did you set them up to exhaust or intake?

I just ordered a pair of 40x20 Noctuas as well. I’m hoping it makes a difference.

I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to set mine up when I get them. I’m thinking intake as air would be getting funneled across the board better.

I’ll be interested to hear what you find out. My instinct is that exhaust would work better, but then it would be a little strange to exhaust out the front of the device. Intake has the advantage of creating positive case pressure, which will help keep dust out. Keep us posted!

Update linked with new configuration and temps.
pfS_WAAAT i5-3470T / Intel VT1000 / 1U Rack Mount Firewall/Router - #7 by COZisBack

I am running them in exhaust, but might switch them to intake.

1 Like

I’m running exhaust. I think I’m going to stick with it. Intake for me seems like it won’t direct air efficiently enough.

Using the case below I find that things are getting too toasty for my taste. Nothing unbearable and the noctua cooler keeps the CPU at no more than 40c but it’s too warm. The whole chassis is warm to the touch. I should add I now have the IO shield in place.

I think I might return this case to Amazon and 3d print one instead with plenty of ventilation. I do like the tempered glass so I might try get some cut locally.

1 Like

40C is well within spec. Why not just add an exhaust fan(s) instead of the IO shield?

Tried that. Had a little 25mm fan which I set up as intake which has helped a lot but still, I think I’m going to hunt for a case with room for a least 1 80mm or so.

And I’m not worried about CPU temps, only the mainboard / ram and everything else getting a bit toasty for my taste.

I meant something more along the lines of dual 40mm blowing out the IO shield, which would draw cool air through the side vent.

40C is on the high side of normal for idle temps, absolutely nothing to be concerned about, definitely not too warm.

It’s not the CPU I’m worried about. There’s just no airflow in that case is all.

Sure, but I’m not convinced there is a problem, despite your assertion that it’s warm. Power draw and heat output on that system will be low, but it will produce heat. Just because you can feel the heat doesn’t mean it’s an issue for the system. These little DQ77KB boards came out of thin clients with even less airflow than what you have now. I’m running two of those cases/boards as routers for my coworkers and they are getting along just fine.

If you want to go through all of the hassle and extra cost to replace the case, add fans, and whatever else - go for it. To me it’s definitely not worth it, because the end result will be the same.

For what it’s worth, I have the Goodisory C01 case, which is a little shorter, but is also basically mesh around all 4 sides. I’m seeing CPU temps in the mid 40’s. I’m not sure if you’re going to see much better temperatures in another case.

40C is within normal spec, what is the issue?

Goodness people. The CPU temp is FINE.

I just didn’t like how when I went to pick up the case earlier that it was quite warm to the touch. As in the whole case was warm. I didn’t like it being that warm. If you do, all power to you. I don’t!

Have you tried not touching the case?

2 Likes

Reminds me of the iPhone “you’re holding it wrong” quote

Has anyone found a new source for the DQ77KB motherboard? It appears to once again be sold out (and just when I found this article and was about to push the button!!). Thanks!