[Guide] JDM's Mini-ITX pfSense builds

Did you use thermal paste or anything? Also check the mounting pressure.

Yes, just some Dynamix thermal paste I had around. I torqued the cooler as much as felt safe, but I’ll take it apart and check the spread of the paste. Thank you!

I removed the cooler, cleaned off the paste, and then applied the paste that came with the cooler. It’s running around 30 now at idle, so obviously the paste I used originally was bad.
I was wrong about this. After putting the board back in the case, the temps went back to hovering around 50. Eventually I took a look in the BIOS and found that the cooling settings were obviously meant for something with a much higher t-case. I’ve adjusted those settings, and now temperatures are a lot more comfortable around 40.

Also, for anyone trying to get into the MEBx menu, the shortcut key is CTRL+P. As mentioned, the default password is admin, but you should also know that it will require you to set a more secure password immediately. It requires a password at least 8 characters long, and it must include a capital letter, a special character, and a number. It wasn’t difficult to find this information, but I thought it might be useful to include it in this thread!

I believe you can bypass it making you type a new password just by pressing enter, but I could be wrong.

I’m having a tough time getting my AC Lite AP to get me a good signal 6 feet away from my laptop. Keeps trying to go to the 2.4Ghz signal. Turned on bandwidth steering and prefer 5G on the laptop. Speeds are still bad though. Can only get up to 150 Mbps on phone or laptop. Wired is 550 Mbps though which is great considering I only have a 500 Mbps package.

Haven’t even really begun to try things out in pfsense yet. Haven’t done any firewall rules or anything like that. I did try pfblockerNG and it broke quite a few websites. Had to turn it back off for now until I understand what its doing. This stuff is complicated as hell.

My build is uploaded. Still working on making the post pretty though.

pfS_WAAAT i5-3470T / Intel VT1000 / 1U Rack Mount Firewall/Router

6 Likes

This is pretty much what I’ve been looking for as an option for the pfsense build, very nice and I will be copying it almost exactly.

1 Like

Got two boards on order ($70 buy it now offer for two, quickly accepted). Gonna pair each with a 1260L and i5 3470T I have laying around. I will put together a build guide. The only difference is I will be running Sophos XG Home as my UTM instead of pfsense. Happy to answer any questions about power or Sophos should anyone like to know.

EDIT: I know they are not needed but I like the finished look of IO plates. When I made the offer for the two boards, they accepted $10 for two of the full IO plates.

1 Like

Sexy build. How are the temps on the DC transformer when being stuck in the case?

Temps and testing haven’t been completed yet. I’ll report back though.

Added another motherboard suggestion

Gigabyte GA-B75TN - Socket 1155, DDR3 SODIMM, Single-NIC, PCI-EX4

Seller is asking $36.00 OBO

Build complete (minus a full height IO shield en-route from ebay. The first case that arrived from Amazon had shattered tempered glass but their customer service being what it is I had a replacement in a couple of days.

CPU heatsink and case cost as much as the rest of the build but I’ve decided it’s going to take pride of place in my office so it had to be damn near silent. It pulls 12w from the wall average which is fantastic.

Full build components in this post

2 Likes

You can get a five pack of those motherboards from same seller for $120 OBO, in case you want to do a group buy…with friends?

In case anybody is interested in logging CPU temperatures in Influx via Telegraf, I was able to get that working.

[[inputs.exec]]
  commands = ["sh -c 'sysctl -n dev.cpu.0.temperature | tr -d C'"]
  name_override = "cpu_temp" 
  timeout = "5s"
  data_format = "value"
  data_type = "float"
  [inputs.exec.tags]
    core = "core0"

If you have the Telegraf package installed on pfSense, then you would add this to the “Additional telegraf configuration” box on the Services > Telegraf page. If you have installed Telegraf manually, then just add this to your telegraf.conf file.

Note that the ‘0’ in dev.cpu.0… is the logical cpu number. You can add multiple instances of this to track temps for each logical cpu. Just make sure you change the tag to match the cpu.

I hope this helps, as there wasn’t a lot of information out there when I was trying to figure out how to get it working!

1 Like

I’m generally following COZisBack’s build, but was just gonna go for a pcie 4x riser or ribbon, and I found a reviewer that confirmed the following riser worked for exactly this use case, although the riser is a bit tall to be perfectly level:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUF2HBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG&psc=1

I’ll update when I get back from GenCon, cause I’m an idiot and ordered a PCI-X quad port and the new quad port and the riser won’t be in until next week.

You’re going to have a gap, if I recall correctly. I don’t think it’s long enough.

Notice the significant gap that your 90° doesn’t make up for.

Well, let me modify that response. If you remove the bracket that holds the lower portion of the pci-e card and mount the tall NIC bracket in the short bracket slot, essentially floating the card, it will work.

1 Like

Now that looks workable. I can try and track down an x4 extension too.

I’m not saying anyone should buy this and use this for pfSense… but it has dual NIC and supports AES-NI…

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FIEI-NANO-QM871-i5-R10-Industrial-Embedded-Board-w-4GB-DDR3-RAM-i5-4400E%2F183763530503%3Fhash%3Ditem2ac928f307%3Ag%3As6gAAOSwt4VcqD1F&campid=5338535236&toolid=20008

Temps Update From BIOS

CPU Fan Speed: 1041 RPM

• CPU Temp: 74°C
  • PCH Temp: 70°C
  • RAM Temp: 53°C
  • VR Temp: 54°C

Thoughts on if I need System/Case Fans?