HP DL380p suggestions

A little backstory first. I have focused on PC hardware for 10+ years. I decided to pull the trigger and move my media from just being stored on a bunch of drives in my main PC to a more dedicated box. I bought this server because it met my needs 12 3.5” bays, dual socket, room for expansion and the price was right. The main function of it will be as a NAS and a virtualization server.

Now my issue I have ran into. I am trying to figure out the best solution for my boot. I am using a SATA SSD for the boot drive i was able to easily install my OS but I can not got it to boot properly. The current configuration is the boot drive is plugged into an HP220(LSI-9205 IT MODE.) in the hba configuration screen I set the ssd as bootable and in the bios set the card as the first boot priority. What happens is it will crash into the grub menu with the error that the kernel need to load first. Any suggestions would help.

I find throwing my boot ssd on the optical drive connection for my HP DL380p to be the easiest, it’s still sata so it will support trim too. You can find some slimline to 2.5" adapters pretty cheap on ebay/amazon. Have you used the HP Service Pack for Proliant Disk to set/confirm the 220 is in IT mode? The other alternative is using unraid/esxi that boot off of usb.

I did verify it the hba is in IT Mode through the ORCA menu. I was considering just booting from usb with an adapter and possibly and internal USB adapter. I’ll look into the the slim line adapter.

In the GRUB menu, press C to open a command prompt. (Hold Shift while booting if you don’t see the GRUB menu). Then run ls. Run ls on the listed drives/partition to find out where your kernel and initramfs are:

> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)
> ls (hd0,msdos1)/
lost+found/ bin/ boot/ cdrom/ dev/ etc/ home/  lib/
lib64/ media/ mnt/ opt/ proc/ root/ run/ sbin/ srv/
sys/ tmp/ usr/ var/ vmlinuz vmlinuz.old 
initrd.img initrd.img.old
> set root=(hd0,msdos1)
> linux /vmlinuz root=XXXXX
initrd initrd.img

Replace the XXXXX with your root partition, like UUID=aaabbbccc-dddeeefff-ggg111222 or /dev/sda2. Then press F10 to boot. If you don’t have any (hdX,yyy) GRUB can’t see your disk or controller.

ls is blank, so like you said grub can not see the controller. I am waiting on slimline cable so I can use the ODD port.

Using a slimline adapter solved my issue and was able to boot into the OS. Thanks for the help!

1 Like