How to migrate from Plex from Windows 11 to Ubuntu Desktop

I have light linux knowledge experience, but as I understand it Plex will run best on my shiny new mini-PC using Ubuntu especially because of transcoding and quicksync. I have one of these: " MINISFORUM NPB7 Mini PC 32GB RAM 2TB SSD, with Intel Core i7-13700H, 14 cores 20 Threads, 2 x HDMI Ports & 2X USB4 Port (8K@60Hz), 1 x USB Type-C, 4 x USB Type A, 2 x 2.5 G RJ45 LAN" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4FB15TM

Okay so I’ve got Ubuntu and Plex installed, and I start to google guides on it, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Also I have an additional challenge in that my windows 11 box is the file server, so the libraries are mapped by drive letter. But now on Ubuntu they are going to be mapped by shares.

I really don’t want to lose my watched history, or have any issues with the sharing with my friends and family. Anyone have any advice on a guide that they have vetted?

Your MiniPC being utilized is total overkill. Also I would get your media content and place them in a NAS. Use JDM_WAAAT’s guide: [Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC - #4 by JDM_WAAAT

Do a clean install of Ubuntu Desktop is suggested.

1 Like