[Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals

I don’t really understand the question, this guide refers to a combo that includes the S5512.

Sorry. I looked at getting one of the Chenbro servers from Ebay because that is definitely the best deal, but not when they want $190 dollars to ship it to you. So I started looking at the bare Mother boards and found the sought after S5512Wgm2nr with buits in SAS controller are hard to come by. I found the S5510gm3nr which has 3 Gbe ports and 3 PCIe x8 and 1 x4 slots which would give me room for 10Gbe card, SAS controller card, and NVMe SSD. I can’t find any difference between the S5512 and S5510 other than random different ports. Am I missing something? I want a server that I can run UnRaid on for NAS and a VM running Untangle.

Took the plunge and ordered one of the Chenbros: E3-1230v2 and 16GB RAM. All my offers got rejected, so paid the $186 that was listed, but it looks like prices for pretty much everything have risen lately.

That’s a shame. Looks like the seller is getting a little greedy.

I bit the bullet on the 1230v2 with 8 GB ram. Guess it’s time to clean out a 4u case. Man, discovering this forum is starting to get expensive!

1 Like

Grab some HDDs for your build while you’re at it!

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/bitdeals-tech-re-opening-hdd-deals/8551

1 Like

I actually just grabbed 2 x 12tbs to shuck last week. My next additions will be from bitdeals.tech I think.

The Craft Computing youtube channel was talking about using one of these Chenbro NR 12000 today in their channel.

Just a general question, has anybody done any checking on how much power this thing pulls?

I have a decent system now that I am happy with, but it pulls 250W, would like to know how much I would potentially save if I rip and replace.

My NK4.1 build with one SATA HDD, one SATA SSD, and a optical drive pulls 72 watts at idle. Figure roughly 5 watts per additional HDD.

Thanks, gives me something to make an actual comparison and ROI

For a comparison, my NK5 (4770K, 7 HHD, 3 SSD) pulls 48W at idle.

I’m assuming you have your array set to spin down then?

Nope. Everything is spun up.

I did some research and think this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007W5BA6Y/

That seems expensive, did you reference the NAS Killer 4.0 guide for RAM yet?

In case it helps, this is the ram mine came with.

Is there a priority that I should use to what SATA ports get populated first with this setup?

Yes, SATA SSDs should be used on the SATA3 ports.

1 Like

Hey! New here working on buying this after getting 4 4tb and a small ssd. Will any atx case work for this (that has enough drive spots)? Something like this a Corsair Carbide 200R? I saw the first case listed but it seems to be OOS everywhere sadly :frowning: Working on a budget of 600 and 200 went to all the drives so this seems to fit the bill so far unless there is something newer. Also is a normal ATX going to work with the server mobo? I don’t know if they have different connectors.

Probably going to use as NAS and maybe run an ARK server off of it. Never tried to do anything like this before but I’m taking the dive! Thanks for any support!