[Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals

It’s likely it’s shorting out due to a rogue standoff. Have you checked the standoff layout inside the case?

It’s likely it’s shorting out due to a rogue standoff. Have you checked the standoff layout inside the case?

That, sir, is probably what it was. When I went back to the case I realized there was a standoff hiding underneath from my last build that wasn’t in line with one of the holes on the motherboard, removed it, reinstalled the board, etc - and it boots just fine now.

Thanks! I had no idea the little guy could cause a problem like that!

Could you post a pic to show how you mounted the disks internally and where the header for the internal USB socket is ? I picked up the same combo and am trying to figure out how the disks should be mounted. The image in the reddit thread that you mentioned is not very clear in how it fits into this chassis.

I don’t recommend most people buy this to use the chassis… Buy a case and transplant the components into there.

Hi, thanks for all the tips on equipment deals and configurations. I just recently flashed my Tyan S5512’s (Combo #4 32GB) LSI SAS controlller to IT mode. However, for some reason none of the Hitachi HE8 8TB 7.2k SAS 12GB/s 3.5" HUH728080AL4200 drives show up on the controller. I’m using brand new 18" SATA cables combined with these:. Is it possible these drives are too new for this onboard card?

1 Like

Did you 3.3v mod your cable? It’s also possible that you need a different SAS controller as those appear to be 4Kn formatted.

Start with the 3.3v mod, and if that doesn’t fix the problem move onto a different SAS controller.

Woohoo! A little Scotch tape on the 3 pins and voila. Thanks for the heads up on the 3.3v mod, ordered some Kapton tape to replace the Scotch with later this coming week. Now to explore ESXi and loading FreeNAS on it.

• Combo 4 [Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m QUAD CORE E3-1230v2 3.3GHz 32GB RAM NO HDD
Type Part Actual Price
Combo Motherboard/CPU/RAM $174.00
Case Fractal Design Define R5 $129.99
Case Fans (2) Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 140 Included
Motherboard Tyan S5512 (Combo 4) Included
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 (Combo 4) Included
RAM (4x8GB) 32GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM (Combo 4) Included
SAS Controller LSI SAS2008 onboard (Combo 4) Included
HDD (8) Hitachi HE8 8TB 7.2k SAS 12GB/s 3.5" HUH728080AL4200 $879.00
SSD (2) Intel 320 Series 160GB MLC SATA 3Gbps 2.5" SSD $49.28
SLOG Intel SSD DC S3700 100GB 2.5" SATA3 6Gb/s 7mm $34.95
CPU Cooler Arctic Cooling Freezer 12 Semi Passive Tower $26.99
Misc. (3) Cat7 Slim Ethernet $14.97
Misc. (10) 18" SATA cable $14.28
Misc. (10) 29 pin SAS to 22 pin SATA adapters $57.50
Misc. 8mm 100’ Kapton tape roll $3.89
Misc. iStarUSA iStorm7 Heat Terminator Bracket 2x5.25" with 3 HDD Drive $31.99
Misc. Dual SSD Mounting Bracket Kit 2.5" to 3.5" Drive Bay $5.46
Power Supply Corsair AX1200 1200w ATX $10
Total ----- $1,432.30
Total without HDD ----- $553.30

I would actually just recommend removing the 3.3v wire, it’s a much cleaner solution than taping the pin.

Type !sata anywhere in the discord for more info.

I’ve grabbed one of the 1270v2 combos with 32GB of RAM. Unraid has been a champ. I’ve got most of my data migrated over and working with docker and VMs has been a breeze.

Everything is running in the original case while I wait for the rest of my parts to come in so I can transplant it to a RSV-L4500.

PSUs are still tough to come by at reasonable prices. Has anyone tried reusing the PSU from the Chenbro case?

To answer my own question - it’s janky but it works.

Lol, how bad is the noise?

IIRC the PSU isn’t actually that loud.

Nice, might have to consider something similar.

Yeah it’s not bad at all. On boot you can hear it spin up, but afterwards it’s hard to tell it apart from the other case fans.

For a little less jank you could try this:

1 Like

This is a great example of how to use this combo’s hardware:

1 Like

It looks like the seller has raised the prices of the following listings in the last day or two.

This one is now listed at $282.

This one is now listed at $270.

And this ebay link leads to an error page for me.

Same thing happened to me. Bought the E3-1230v2 and looks like they sent me the 1270v2 anyways. Good deal.

Happy to report that all these deals and helpful install tips helped me get a server together to replace the dead Drobo that failed on me 2 weeks ago. UnRaid just finished running parity and all seems swimmingly well.
Thank you JDM for the links!

3 Likes

It looks like this is one of the better options right now, $100 less than Combo #6 which is selling for $282 right now. Comes with a 120GB SSD and can add an additional 16GB of RAM for less than the $100 price difference of Combo 6:

3 Likes