[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

Is there another source for the DQ77KB motherboard now? It seems the current link is sold out.

Hey, new to all this but looking to build based off one of your guides. Is there any chance of getting a “beefier” guide? Something with a CPU that would push past the 10k passmark? I didnt know if there was a guide out there with specs higher than the i7 or the E3-1270. Just curious

This is largely a used parts build aimed at being cheap. You won’t find 10k passmark on any of the motherboards in this guide. The highest passmark for the 1155 socket is just under 9000 for the i7 2700k.

I’d recommend waiting for the Anniversary 2.0 guide.

Anniversary 1.0, 2.0, Lego build, pretty much any dual socket can surpass 10K.

Why are you convinced that you need more than that?

Didn’t those builds only have the GA-7PESH motherboards that aren’t readily available anymore? I’m not convinced that I need more but I am looking to add more users to my plex account to access media after I recently purchased 6 4TB drives.

There’s a site-wide announcement about the upcoming Anniversary 2.0 build here.

More users doesn’t necessarily mean you need more passmark. If your users are going to direct play, it won’t require any additional CPU.

I’m actually selling everything you need for the mini-build! Bought all the parts for it and decided to go a different direction so I’m selling the parts at a little less than cost.

I just managed to get the board on another auction …

Right on!

Thanks so much for this article! Does anyone have experience installing a GTX board (maybe a 1660) for Plex/Emby transcoding? I’m really into the build in terms of storage and price but I can’t always direct stream. Will any of the motherboards with pcie 3 be fine?

I got my 6-bay Mini-ITX NAS up and running with an OS but had a question about the fan power in the Fractal Node 304. I connected the front fans to the rear controller but it looks like there is a 12v Molex connector that provides power to them. Is there a connector I can use to supply power from the DQ77KB board?

I connected the big rear fan to the DQ77KB board and that one is working just fine.

Thanks again for the help, I’m almost done!

Seller that is linked accepted $20 for one of these

2 Likes

Noob that has recently decided a nas is what I’m looking for in setting up a Plex server and to store my movies and stream to my TV. Possible that there would be external streams, but no more than 3 at any time if so. I’m leaning towards the featured build. I’ve watched the assembly video and all that seems pretty straightforward, however I have very little experience in this area so the software side is where I’m concerned. Could anyone point me to another thread or video that does shows me exactly what I need to do? Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologise if this is in the wrong spot.

Spaceinvaderone on Youtube has unRaid basics and a media server setup series. Would be a great place to start.

4 Likes

I used one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GSH9KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
since I don’t have all the hard drive spots filled.

1 Like

For “Ultimate Rackmount build” I bought 16 SAS drives so had to buy one more LSI 9201-8i, return " 2-Pack SAS breakout" and buy 4xSAS to SAS breakout + 4xPYO4SATA. I was in a real hurry so made a mistake of not even checking what I’m buying :slight_smile:, had to pay 85$ more as a result. But maybe it makes sense to add a note here

if you’re buying SAS drives, don’t buy that SAS Cable, buy this SAS Cable.

Stupid question but i have built the Supermicro X9SCM ultimate killer version and stupidly thought i could just some ram out of my dl360 which has 256gig of ram and put it my nas only to find it is not UDIMM but registered and buffered.

Can i just use store ram ddr3 unregistered ecc? I was not super keen to wait 2 more weeks.

something like this?

You can use non-ECC UDIMM as well, I’d just double check the manual before proceeding just to be safe.

1 Like

Just put in all the orders for the core parts for the mini ATX NAS! Looking forward to a fun build! Seems like a solid little server! Plus, I’ve always wanted to use that Fractal case for a build. Thanks!

1 Like