[Guide] JDM's Mini-ITX pfSense builds

40C is within normal spec, what is the issue?

Goodness people. The CPU temp is FINE.

I just didn’t like how when I went to pick up the case earlier that it was quite warm to the touch. As in the whole case was warm. I didn’t like it being that warm. If you do, all power to you. I don’t!

Have you tried not touching the case?

2 Likes

Reminds me of the iPhone “you’re holding it wrong” quote

Has anyone found a new source for the DQ77KB motherboard? It appears to once again be sold out (and just when I found this article and was about to push the button!!). Thanks!

I’m actually selling everything you need for the DQ77KB! Bought all the parts for a NKv4.0 mini-build and decided to go a different direction so I’m selling the parts at a little less than cost.

1 Like

I’m funny about temps too @ironicbadger. I put my mini-itx pf/opnsense firewall build in an A2 Geek case.

. There are two f8’s at the top of the case… my fans are at idle so you can’t hear this thing unless you put your ear literally on the case. I have the E3-1260L cpu which runs hotter than the i5-3470t. My CPU temp is at 35c and the system temps are at 27c in a 25c room. Overkill, hell yes it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nearly pre-orderd the A1 but $18 shipping on a $20 case is hard to swallow.

Your build looks great!

Thx!

yeah the A1 geeek looks like a better fit for this build for sure, the preorder for the A1 is new or I would probably have gone for that one instead. The A2 geeek case is small but has room for a graphics card on the back side, drives, and a small psu, all of which I don’t need. I might swap the firewall into the A1 and build a desktop gaming box into the A2. The shipping is DHL international to the US thus why it’s 20bucks.

Hey, I just came across Zeta’s Akasa build and absolutely love it!
However, temp-related shenanigans are an doubt.

Would it be wise to recreate such an build? Or am I better of looking at something actively cooled?

//been seeing a lot of people suggesting an DELL R210II as well, does anyone have any input on this matter?

I don’t have serious thermal concerns about it, given the right workload and environment.

While I did build a second system in the Silverstone case, it wasn’t really as a replacement for the Akasa, per se. I’m still planning on using the 3470T in the Akasa as my pfSense box, with the 1260L/Silverstone system being a low-power server for services that I don’t want to go offline when I take my main Lego build down (CUPS printer server, Home Assistant, etc.).

I still believe the Akasa is fine as long as you put some thought into it and don’t go crazy. In my case, it’ll be a mostly light-load router, and will live in my basement, where the ambient temperature is substantially cooler already. That said, if you’re truly worried about it, the Silverstone or any number of other small ITX cases with a modest active cooler are totally viable too.

I bought the same case, but the CPU Cooler was too big to put the lid on to fit in my rack, so I ordered this one Thermaltake 1U Low-Profile CPU Cooler

I also have 2 40mm Noctua’s with a 4 pin splitter. As soon as I get cooler in I’ll post a pic. Hopefully, that will help with cooling things down.

1 Like

I don’t think the TT cooler is going to fit either. I had to go with the Silverstone. Check my updated build:

1 Like

Sadly, I actually saw your updated post after I posted. I am sorry about that. and placed that SilverStone model in Amazon list. I do want to say though that the SilverStone says it’s 23mm tall, and the TT says it’s 17mm in height. Let’s see how it goes though…<I’ll keep ya posted>

I looked at the 90 degree riser card, and I have to say like another user said, my PCI Ex4 slot isn’t open, it’s closed so there is no way to fit that riser card. I instead have the Timack PCI-e PCI Express3.0 4X Extension pcie 4X Cable

Sounds like a plan. I considered going cable, but all the quality ones like the one you posted are a tough price to swallow for me.

1 Like

@COZisBack, I finally got all the parts I didn’t put the Intel card in yet, just wanted to show you how the Thermal Take looked inside.

1 Like

@Grumpy_Ole_Marine Uhmmmmmm did I miss the part where the TT cooler cost $50?

@COZisBack, no you didn’t but I had an Amazon card from my birthday, so it honestly cost me nothing. LOL but I think part of our discussion was if it would fit and I said I’d show you the pictures either way, and it fits with room to spare.

My God man! Your PCI-E cable and cooler costs more than my Board and CPU!

Yeah I’m sure it does, the cooler was bought with a gift card. So, it cost me nothing really, but I did pony up for the cable.