Special thank-you to all of the moderators, trustworthy, and Patreon supporters who provide valuable feedback and put up with me on a daily basis.
Objective & Overview
Create the end-all guide for LGA2011. Update the Anniversary NSFW build to include many more options and avenues, including but not limited to: vendor direct deals, pre-built systems, add-in cards, storage, and sample builds.
Following in the wake of the very popular NAS Killer 4.0 build guide, utilize a similar format to flesh out viable LGA2011 options.
Every section will have many recommendations. It’s up to you to choose what’s right for you!
[Table of Contents - clickable links]
- Before you get started…
- Suggested Research & Planning Order
- Tower Cases
- Rackmount Chassis
- Dual CPU Motherboards
- Single CPU Motherboards
- X79 Motherboards
- Single CPU
- Dual CPU
CPU Cooling Options
- Narrow ILM
- Square ILM
- Liquid Cooling
- DDR3 ECC RDIMM
- DDR3 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM
- Power Supply Options
- Add-in Cards
- Other Parts
- SSD Options
- Shuckable Drives
- SATA Drives
- SAS Drives
- Prebuilt Options
- Supplemental Guides and Resources
- Vendor Deals
- Sample Builds
[Before you get started…]
- Verify component compatibility via the documentation provided by the manufacturer. Do not use ebay listing descriptions, Amazon reviews, or otherwise!
When in doubt, ask here on the forum or on the discord!
- Plan out your build thoroughly - Google Sheets helps a lot with this.
PC Parts Picker will not help you with a server build.
- Always purchase from ebay sellers with > 98% positive feedback in the last 6 months.
- Always use the “best offer” feature when available. Auctions rarely produce good deals, but best offers on buy it now items can be crazy low! Aim for 15-20% off of the list price.
- Actually read the guide! I’ve done my best to be thorough. If there’s something I didn’t address or something that needs to be fixed, please comment on this thread.