Getting windows 10 to work property on Gigabyte GA-7PESH2

FWIW I’m using Turbo with Balanced power management with no crashes. Like I said, put a fan on that small copper heatsink.

I think I’ve got a smaller 40mm fan sitting around from a raspberry pi I could throw on there. May need to extend it to connect to the SYS_FAN1. Taken your solid advice on everything else, it would be pretty silly to stop now.

I use a spare 80mm arctic on mine, it just needs some additional airflow. My 80mm sits on top of my PCI-E cards and blows down towards the NIC heatsink.

Aaah, so maybe that’s why I’m not hitting the NIC overheat issue, and just the CPU perf is throwing me off? I have a 180mm Arctic right there on the back outtake of the Phanteks case, and I’m using 2x H50 coolers with 2x 120mm Arctics in Push/Pull on the radiator outtake closest to the NICs.

You’ll have to show me pictures, I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying.

So this is what I did. It’s not secured in any way at the moment. Just resting on top of my pcie card and brackets

1 Like

Is it sucking air away from that spot?

Did the same just zip tied them to those hexagon holes.

Oh maybe I should do it the other way.

Flip the fan around. You want it blowing down, not up.

Yeah, I fixed it now. But I’m using Windows Server 2019 now. I got it working with pretty much no issues and less of a headache so I might just be sticking with that at this point. Thanks @Rfs830 for help with setting that up.

Glad server 2019 is working for you. I wish we could get win10 working but in the end you can do just about everything you need in server 2019.

If the next 2011 board works well with win10, I may look at changing this board out.

For anyone with the Phanteks case where this may not work as slick, I found a bracket solution for mounting fans.

@Rfs830 @brikN windows 10 will not work on dual socket mobos afaik. It’s just simply hard no from Microsoft. server 2019 is essentially windows 10 enterprise with a highly stable kernel and server grade support for hw. It’s safe to say the hanging issues are due to this and it’s sad that the windows installer will literally allow itself to install on just about anything.

I have windows 10 working perfectly on my dual socket dell 7610 system. Its more of a board problem or a drivers problem that is causing it to happen. My supermicro dual cpu boards work with window 10 also. I just turned that server into a Server 2019 hyperv server and now use my Dell as my main system.

The answer in this link supports your statement. I stand corrected!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/windows-10-versions-cpu-limits/905c24ad-ad54-4122-b730-b9e7519c823f?auth=1

I literally cloned an old ssd from a X8DTL-3f box and plugged it into my GA-7PESH2 box and it spun up fine. The GA-7 board has E5-2620 chips. The OS on the cloned drive is win10 pro. Pretty sure it’s not a board / bios issue.The chips on the previous board were x5677 which I think clock at 3.3GHz. I got tired of the noise from the cpu fans spinning up and the power usage was rediculous so I went with the newert chips at a lower frequency.

Whats build of windows 10 are you running? Maybe it now works again? I moved on to a dell workstation so i have not played with windows 10 on the pesh2 board in a while.

I have 3 pesh2 boards and all had problem after windows updates and would hang on restarts. Runnings windows was never the problem. It was restarting after updates.

When windows updates I do see random issues where it will hang prior to POST. I’ve just found hitting the restart on the case will get it to restart properly. I had the same issue on that supermicro board too.