Build Help- Re-purpose Gaming Rig or Sell it for NAS Killer 4.0?

I’ve got a gaming rig that’s not being used. I want to build a Plex Server and I’m wondering if it makes more sense to just repurpose this gaming rig or to part it out for money to build a more “server”-like setup referencing the NAS Killer 4.0 guide. I’m new to the HTPC/Server realm but I’m assuming this build would be plenty powerful for anything I want to do with it. My only concern is the motherboard is gaming-oriented instead of server-oriented.

Gaming build consists of:

CPU: Intel 6700k
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Base Asus Z170 Board
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair 750 Watt
Drives: 500gb SATA SSD

If I repurposed this build I imagine I would keep everything except the GPU and just run it like that. The case has like 8 3.5" bays, although it’s huge so maybe I’ll swap the case for something smaller.

Would it be more frugal to just part it out and buy cheaper used parts off eBay though? What’s the performance difference from this to the NK 4.0 builds using a Xeon processor?

I would definitely re-purpose the old rig into a NAS. Learn from it, make mistakes, fix them, break stuff. I’d sell the video card and bank the money to save for the eventual server you will want to build from higher grade hardware. Then re-purpose this one back into a dedicated plex machine and then eventually into something else

You should use it. Build your own NAS Killer with the hardware you have, and enable hardware transcoding if you’re using Plex.

More information on that here: [Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC