60Tb NAS - OTIS - Docker - am I doing it wrong?

Hello!

just sharing the little server I’m building
I plan to have it running 24/7 as NAS and multifunction server
so Docker, PLEX etc, so I mixed up NAS Killer thread and OTIS thread instructions :

CPU

• Intel i9-10900T
  • ARCTIC Freezer 7 X

MOBO

• ASUS Pro WS W480-ACE
  • 2 x 16gb Crucial DDR4 EEC

STORAGE

• Sabrent m.2 256GB Rocket
  • LSI SAS9211-8i IT-MODE
  • 6 x 10Tb SAS Seagate EXOS X10 - UNRAID
  • 2 x SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 cable

POWER

• Corsair HX1000

CASE

• Antec P101 Silent (considering other options)

I understood that UNRAID is my best option, I’ll use mit with ZFS…

Am I doin’ something wrong? :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help!
DB

edit: updated with the suggestions and upgraded budget

1 Like

I’m curious about your motherboard. From my limited experience, it seems most people choose to build NAS on boards that allow ECC memory. Are you choosing to use non-ECC ram intentionally?

Can your add-on card, LSI SAS9211-8i IT-MODE, be used on any motherboard? I really only see it on Xeon builds.

Good luck with your build. When you’re finished you’ll have to post your results.

1 Like

Why RAID 5?

1 Like

@JDM_WAAAT
well I think RAID 5 is enough security, should I go with RAID 6?

@Classic.Man
oh, actually I didn’t think about the non-EEC memory, and neither about the Xeon…
I searched but didn’t read anywhere NAS with LSI need XEON and\or ECC ram, could you point me to that information?

I choose the motherboard because of the CPU, and the CPU because of the trans-coding capability and low power consumption. I was afraid that Xeon system don’t have quicksync and other media oriented functions…

Thanks for your feedback! Of course I’ll post my results!

Have you considered Unraid?

1 Like

Yes I do, in theory, but I’m still learning about it… so I don’t really know nothing about it.
And now from your question I desume the name Unraid has something to do with not using RAID… :sweat_smile:

But is it true that the LSI card wants a XEON build?

I would recommend taking a look at this article since your planing to use so many drives, and it seem’s like your adding all of them at once.

1 Like

LSI HBAs do not require Xeons.

Unraid supports 30 drives in the main array, if you want to use more than that you can use something like ZFS.

2 Likes

Ahhhh, my apologies. I thought he was looking upward of 18 drives. Missed the OR instead of AND.

1 Like

well actually 8 drives is enough for now, also I don’t want a massive energy footprint.
I think I also will go for ZFS, even if I’m under 30 drives

I forgot to add a 10gbe card, maybe I’ll go for something like this:
Asus XG-C100C

I hope to put some real build details soon, I just received only the 8087 cables :sweat_smile:

Go for Unraid.

1 Like

I definitely will go for Unraid, and my budget just got expanded, so I upgraded here and there