1u-shenanigans build using FireEye NX900

Yeah, it’s been amazing! As I write this it’s been up 141 days without any issues whatsoever. I heavily modified it to fix the noise issues, but it was far cheaper than most of the router appliances our there today.

I nibbled a hole in the top of the chassis to install a 120mm fan over the processor so that I could remove the noisy squirrel cage and installed a much quieter power supply. I’m still pretty shocked how much power I got for the money.

I’d definitely recommend it if you don’t mind a bit of modification. I should post pictures sometime…

1 Like

Any more pics to share?

Please do!

Pictures up!

Nice! I might follow in your footsteps!

Will this handle 1Gbs speeds? What services are you running?

I’m sure it will. I unfortunately have Comcast/Xfinity (250M Up/25M down). There are tons of others who use this Intel card successfully at full speeds.

AFAIK the main limitation is processor power, which this has way more than enough.

I run HAProxy primarily, but use a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks!

Bummer, sold out for now (at that price). I’ll keep looking.

Excuse me sir that’s a little bigger than 1U

How so? It’s literally a 1u… Not following. Unless you are talking about the fan taking up more rack space, then sure :stuck_out_tongue: I have it in the top space in the rack and the fan has room to breathe in the head-frame of the rack.

Did you share the specs of the box?

Updated the post. 8 core, 16gb ram included

1 Like

Thanks. That’s not a bad processor!

Not at all! I got a great deal on the whole thing. So I’m happy.

1 Like

I am having trouble accessing resources on the network once I am logged into this pfsense box via VPN. What’s very strange is that only some IPs are inaccessible whereas most other IPs are accessible. For instance my proxmox server is inaccessible, but networking switches and printers and other hosts work just fine. I have disabled firewalls and all sorts of stuff, but haven’t got it to work.

The OpenVPN server has been working well since I got your guys’ help setting it up, but I have tried random troubleshooting and haven’t gotten anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Both SSDs failed, for around $40, I bought 2 120GB SSDs on ebay to replace the original SSDs. Overkill yes, but they were about the same price and much faster.